Soundarya Rajinikanth Ashwin: It’s overwhelming to see Shahrukh Khan and Amitabh Bachchan support Kochadaiiyaan!


The Southern Superstar’s daughter is quite elated with B-town stars supporting her directorial debut


Soundarya Rajinikanth Ashwin’s directorial debut Kochadaiiyaan starring her Superstar father Rajinikanth and Deepika Padukone in lead roles hits the theatres today. Before that we sat down for a little candid chat, where she explained us the new technology that is being used in the film, how was it directing her father and more. Excerpts from the conversation…


A directorial debut, with your superstar father, is it a dream come true moment?


Absolutely! Without a doubt it is. I think everyone who enters the film industry, they wish to work with, and my father is No. 1 in that list. And I am die-hard Rajinikanth fan. So directing him in my first film is dream come true indeed.


Did it take a lot of convincing from you to rope him or did he instantly agree?


It took a lot of convincing, trust me because the technology is new and it is my debut film. But it is only after my father was convinced with the script and the fact that I can handle it, he gave his nod to it. At the end of the day, it’s his fans who are most important and he wanted to give them a film, which will be a new experience.


Is having a Superstar in your debut film a boon, especially considering the huge fan following he has?


Absolutely. And given that it’s a new technology that no one is familiar with, the interest comes because the attraction factor of the movie, which is my dad. And I think people will go and watch the movie to see what Rajinikanth has done.


Box office success or then critical acclaim – what is Soundarya craving for in her first film as a director?


Satisfaction of the audience. I want people to go and watch the film and enjoy the effort that we have taken.


Is it easy directing your father, considering that he is not just an actor on the set but also a superstar and a dad?


First of all it’s not easy to be a director at all. The director is the captain of the ship, and whatever you see in the film, whether good or bad, it’s the director’s action. Coming to your question, yes, directing my father was very challenging because he is such a professional. Not only my dad, it was also very challenging to directs other actors in the film.


You also got your mother to sing, did it take a lot of convincing?


No. My mother is an excellent singer, it’s just that she has been so busy with roles she is playing in real life. She is a grandmother, a Superstar’s wife, and our mother, she runs her own school. So she has not had time to sing. There was a song in the film, which I thought would fit her voice very well. And when I spoke to Rahman Sir about it, he was more than happy.


Do you plan to get her to sing more numbers for you in the future?


I hope so. I hope she will.


We have seen the trailer of the film and India’s first motion capture photo-realistic 3D animated movie. How can layman understand this concept?


I am trying my best to explain it to everybody which is why we have released the making of the film as well. Kochadaiiyaan is India’s first photo-realistic performance capture film and it’s a very new technology in our country. I think it’s a matter of time. Once people will watch the film and they read more about it, that’s when it will register.


In India, animation is still stereotyped as a ‘for kids’ genre of films. Do you think Kochadaiiyaan will break that myth?


I hope so. And I just hope that it creates a new film-making medium, where more such films are made in the country.


Everyone from Bollywood is supporting Kochadaiiyaan very strongly, like we saw Shahrukh Khan at the music launch and Amitabh Bachchan at the Hindi trailer of the film. How do you feel?


It feels really great. I think these are people, who understand technology. So when they come and appreciate the work, it’s completely overwhelming.


How did Deepika Padukone fit the film?


She has done a great job. She is playing the character of this princess named Vandana Devi. She just understood the technology very quickly, when I explained to her, she finished her shoot in two days. She has done all the dance sequences in the film by herself.


Rajinikanth was roped in by Shahrukh for a special appearance in Ra.One. Why didn’t you approach Shahrukh to do a cameo in Kochadaiiyaan?


Well, I think we stuck to what the script demanded. If I ever have an opportunity to work with Shahrukh, it will again be a dream come true.


Kochadaiiyaan means King – Your father is perfectly suited for this film and title, but one other actor who can carry this tag off with ease in your opinion?


Nobody else. I can’t see anyone else doing what my father has done in Kochadaiyaan.






via

No comments:

Post a Comment