Known more for her sartorial choices than histrionics, Sonam Kapoor says acting is her lifeline. Yet, she doesn’t hanker after ‘heroine’ roles. She likes playing interesting characters, she insists. She isn’t bothered about hogging screen space from her co-stars – especially the hero.
In a conversation with BC, the outspoken Ms Kapoor talks about what interests her the most as an actor, working with Salman Khan in Sooraj Barjatya’s Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo, starting her own fashion line, Neerja Bhanot biopic and being the No. 1 actress on social media.
You’re playing the lead protagonist for the third time in Dolly Ki Doli – after Aisha and Khubsoorat. Does it raise your confidence as an actor?
I don’t want to call myself the lead of Dolly Ki Doli because it’s an ensemble full of interesting characters. I think it’s always nice to have a good support system. If you don’t have a good team, there’s no point. I’m sure the great Sachin Tendulkar also needed his team’s support to win every cricket match he’s played. Similarly, filmmaking is also a team effort. If I’m the lead of the team then I’m only relevant in keeping the team together. Talking about Dolly Ki Doli, we needed amazing team players like Rajkumar Rao, Varun Sharma and Pulkit Samrat, a director like Abhishek Dogra and a fabulous producer like Arbaaz Khan. I cannot take credit for being the female protagonist. Hopefully, we have a winner on hand.
Since the movie is about your character conning people, did you ever get conned in real?
(Laughs) People are always conning me. I’m very stupid when it comes to people. I expect everybody to be as honest as I am.
Raanjhanaa, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and Khoobsurat were runaway hits. Does it add any pressure when you’re carrying a film like Dolly Ki Doli on your shoulders?
No, if people feel I’ve done a good job they will go and watch my film.
You’re doing a variety of roles this year. Do you think 2015 will be your year?
I don’t know. I hope I keep getting roles like the ones I have played so far – interesting and challenging. Most of my films have been successful. So I can’t pinpoint saying okay this is my year or that was my year. I just want to keep getting roles where I can express myself and just don’t end up being a pretty face in the film.
How different is Dolly Ki Doli as compared to Daawat-e-Ishq because in that film, Parineeti Chopra also conned people?
I haven’t seen Daawat-e-Ishq so I cannot comment. Since I was so busy shooting Khoobsurat, I didn’t get time to see the film.
A couple of films didn’t get you good screen space like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag or Delhi 6. Talking about Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo which features Salman Khan in a double role, aren’t you concerned about your screen space?
The reason I did Sooraj Barjatya sir’s Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo is because it’s a romantic film and no romantic film is possible without hero and heroine sharing equal screen space. It’s always going to be like that, be it any Sooraj Barjatya film. It’s a film about love and family. I know the audience’s expectations from me. And anyway, screen space doesn’t matter. If you’ve seen Delhi 6, I’m there for 25 minutes in the movie but you won’t notice the screen timing because the character was quite powerful and relevant to the plot. Or take my 10-minute appearance in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. If people remember you for the film that you’ve done regardless of the screen space, that’s commendable. Fortunately or unfortunately, I’m shooting Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo every day.
You’re quite active on social networking sites, more so because you keep clarifying things about yourself.
I enjoy social media a lot. I find it entertaining especially when I’m bored. It’s so much fun. You can put up pictures. You can share experiences with people. You need to share your life with people. It’s a great way to connect with your fans and clarify a lot of things. Today, there are so many newspapers, television and websites. So several things get lost in translation. It’s a great way to promote your film and connect with people all over the world.
Your rivalry with Deepika Padukone has grabbed enough media attention. Does that upset you?
There’s nothing to clarify because there’s nothing I spoke about her that was wrong. It was misconstrued and I did not use anybody’s name. It’s just media created. There’s so much happening in our country like elections, serious issues like rape, cleanliness awareness programmes but I don’t know why anything that Deepika or I say becomes national news.
You’ve recently signed a biopic based on Neerja Bhanot – a senior flight crew member who tried to save lives of three children while battling terrorists.
I cannot comment on that film until I sign it. We will make an official announcement soon.
You’ve been labeled as B-town’s fashionista. Will you ever start your own fashion line?
Yes. And, it will be very reasonable for every girl to try it out once. I will be making clothes for everybody.
Tevar has not received good reviews from critics and the audience. Did you like it?
I haven’t seen the film, so cannot comment on it. Arjun (Kapoor) is going to kill me but Rhea (Kapoor, her sister) and her couple of friends saw it and they liked it. I will watch it soon.
The post Why Would I Have Any Issues With Deepika? It’s All Media Created: Sonam Kapoor on her alleged ‘rivalry with Ms Padukone appeared first on Bollywood Celebden.
via Bollywood Celebden
No comments:
Post a Comment